Cyber crime is accomplishment done using internet and computers. Cyber crime includes anything from downloading banned software’s, movies or music files to robbery money from online bank accounts. Cyber crime also creating and share out viruses on other computers or redeployment private business information on the Internet.
The most well-known form of cyber crime is identity theft, in which criminals use the Internet to filch private information from other end user. Two of the most regular ways this is done is through pharming and phishing. Both of these methods attract users to false websites (that appear to be genuine), where users are asked to enter secret information. The users should always check the URL or Web address of a site to make sure it is genuine before entering your secret information.
“Any criminal doings that uses a computer either as an instrumentality, objective or a means for propagating further crimes comes within the influence of cyber crime”. A generalized definition of cyber crime may be:-
“Unlawful acts wherein the computer is either a tool or target or both”
The computer can be used in the following kinds of actions – financial crimes, intellectual property crime, pornography, sale of banned articles, cyber aggravation, online betting, cyber defamation, e-mail spoofing, forgery.
The computer can be used to target for unlawful acts in the following cases- computer networks / computer system/ unauthorized right of entry to computer, e-mail bombing, stealing of information contained in the electronic form, theft of computer system ,data diddling, salami attacks, logic bombs, Trojan attacks, internet time thefts, web jacking, physically damaging the computer system.
Mode and manners of committing cyber crime:
Illegal access to computer systems or networks / Hacking.
Logic bombs or Trojan attacks.
Stealing of information restricted in electronic form.
Data diddling or Salami attacks.
Internet time thefts or Web jacking.
Rejection of Service attack.
Virus / worm attacks.
REASONS FOR CYBER CRIME:
Hart in his work “The Concept of Law” has said ‘human beings are in danger so rule of law is required to defend them’. Applying this to the cyberspace we may say that computers are in danger so rule of law is required to protect and preserve them against cyber crime. The reasons for the defencelessness of computers may be said to be:
1. Capacity to store data in relatively small space-
The computer has limited letters for storing data in a very small space. This take away or derives information either through physical or virtual means makes it much simpler.
2. Easy to access-
The problem detained in protecting r a computer system from unlawful, access is that there is every opportunity of break not due to human error but due to the complex technology. By secretly fixed retina imagers, logic bomb, advanced voice recorders, key loggers that can steal access codes etc. that can trick biometric systems and avoid firewalls can be utilized to get pas many a security system.
The computers work on (OS) Operating Systems and these OS in turn are composed of millions of codes. Human mind is weak and it is not possible that there might not be a lose your footing at any stage. The cyber criminals take advantage of this lacunas and enter into the system.
It is very closely related with human behaviour. It is very possible that while defending the computer system there might be any carelessness, which in turn provides a cyber criminal to grow access and control over the system.
The cyber criminals consist of various types. This division may be vindicated on the basis of the purpose that they have.
1. Children and teenagers between the age group of 6 – 18 years –
The simple reason for this type of crime pattern in children is seen mainly due to the searching to know and discover the things. Other alike reason to prove themselves to be best between other children in their group. Further the reasons may be psychosomatic even.
E.g. the Bal Bharati case was the outcome of annoyance of the criminal by his friends.
2. Organised hackers-
These are those kind of hackers that mostly encoded together to complete certain objective. The cause may be to complete their political fundamentalism, unfairness etc. The Pakistanis are the best hackers in the world. They mainly target the Indian government sites with the purpose to complete their political purposes . The NASA and the Microsoft sites is always under attack by the hackers.
3. Professional hackers / crackers –
Theses hacker/crackers are forced by money. These kinds of hackers are mostly employed to hack the site and get money for that, expensive information and trustworthy. Further they crack the system of the employer essentially as a measure to make it safer by removing the ambiguity.
4. Discontented employees-
This are those people who have been either are frustrated with their employer or fire by their employer. They normally hack the system of their employee to take vengeance.
PREVENTION OF CYBER CRIME:
Prevention is always better than treatment. It better to take certain stipulation while working on the internet. We should make them part of life.
5P’s should be kept in mind for online security:
A netizen should keep in mind the following things-
1. To prevent cyber persecution avoids revealing any information affecting to one. This is as good as revealing your uniqueness to unfamiliar person in public place.
2. Always stay away from sending any photograph online for the most part to strangers and chat friends as there have been occurrences of misuse of the photographs.
3. Always use latest and up date anti virus software to guard against virus hits/ attacks.
4. Always keep back up volumes so that one may not put up with data loss in case of virus fault
5. Never send your credit card number to any site that is not protected, to protector against frauds.
6. Always keep a watch on the sites that your children are entrancing to prevent any kind of stalking or depravation in children.
7. It is better to use a security programme that gives control over the cookies and send information back to the site as departure the cookies careless might prove critical.
8. Web site holders should watch traffic and check any misdeed on the site. Putting host-based interruption detection devices on servers may do this.
9. Use of firewalls may be advantageous.
10. Web servers running public sites must be physically separate protected from internal corporate network