Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Unit Code MN621
Unit Title Advanced Network Design
Assessment Type Assignment 2 T1 2020
Assessment Title Network analysis and recommendations
Purpose of the This assignment is designed to assess students’ knowledge and skills related to the
assessment (with following learning outcomes:
ULO Mapping) a. Analyse the need for advanced networks, standards and network solutions;
b. Investigate suitable network designs to match requirements;
d. Apply concepts and theories of human factors as related to network design
e. Evaluate performance metrics and dimensions according to specifications.
Weight 25% of the total assessments
Total Marks 55
Word limit 1200
Due Date Week 11, Submit on the Moodle Shell.
The practical demonstration will be in weeks 10 and 11. Tutors will schedule a
Submission • All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date.
Guidelines • The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font
and 2.54 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately
at the end in a reference list using IEEE referencing style.
Case study scenario: Use the uploaded case study entitled “TP-Link Provides Wireless Coverage to Al Hayat Hotel Apartments in Sharjah”.
Project scope: Write project scope herewith.
Report requirements: The report should have a comparative analysis of all group members’ network design and implementation both wired and wireless. It is recommended that bullet points are included whenever necessary.
1. Project Scope and requirements
• Write a summary of your contribution to the report (for example, each members’ network design contribution).
• For example, a group with four members will have four separate network designs. Students should give their names in their individual designs.
2. Network design analysis
• Write the advantages and disadvantages of each network design. Include concepts of the human factor in your analysis of each network design.
3. Network performance
• Write network performance factors that can be considered for all team members’ network design.
• Write performance analysis table for each network design.
• Compare and contrast.
4. Innovative ideas
• Write innovative ideas on how can you improve performance as one solution by combining the advantages of all network solutions.
• Consider future trends in networking such as SDN, 5G, 4D Network, Open Network Switches, cloud, IPv6, Multi-Band Routers, Artificial Intelligence (AI) applications, etc.
5. Demonstration of the design
• Work progression record and consultation on weeks 10 by the lab tutor.
• Demonstration will be in Week 11 lab class.
• Demonstration format (at least 3 viva voce questions related to the design, not more than 5 – 7 mins).
The following tentative marking criteria will be followed for the assignment.
Marks Section to be included in Description of the section
5 Project Scope and Outline of the report (in 3-4 sentences), and briefly discuss
requirements the requirements (not more than 10-12 sentences).
10 Network design and Write the advantages and disadvantages of each network
Include concepts of the human factor in your analysis of
each network design.
(You may use bullet points).
10 Network Performance Write network performance factors that can be considered
for all team members’ network design.
Write performance analysis table for each network design.
Compare and contrast.
5 Innovative ideas Write innovative ideas on how can you improve
performance as one solution by combining advantages of all
Consider future trends in networking such as SDN, 5G, 4D
Network, Open Network Switches, cloud, IPv6, Multi-Band
Routers, AI applications, etc.
3 Summary Well comprehended summary.
2 Reference style IEEE reference style.